Choosing a senior living community is like choosing a college. You read the brochures, scan the website and then plan an in-person or virtual tour. And while absorbing information from advertisements is important, it’s not going to give you a real feel for what life will be like in the same way that a tour can. It’s your job to make sure you get the most out of your senior living community tours by coming prepared with a list of questions geared towards what is most important to you.
6 Questions to Always Ask on Senior Living Tours
If you’ve narrowed down your options to a couple of senior living communities, now comes the difficult decision of deciding which one to call home. Making sure you ask the same questions at each community will ensure you can confidently find the right place to call home.
Below are 6 questions you should ask when touring senior living communities:
- What are the accommodations and available amenities? This one seems pretty standard, but it’s important to know what the community offers and if it appeals to your interests. What are available floor plans? Are pets allowed? Is there Wi-Fi? Is it easy to socialize?
- How do you keep residents safe? Many seniors choose to move to a senior living community for the comfort of 24/7 care and support. Be sure to find a community that offers the level of support and safety you desire. Are there life alert buttons? Is there an emergency response plan? Are there backup generators? Is it gated access?
- How do you handle complaints/concerns? While the hope is you never have any feedback for your senior living community, it’s good to know there are open lines of communication should you need it. Is staff easily accessible? Will they communicate with your loved ones? What is the feedback loop?
- Is there a continuum of care? One of the most reassuring things about choosing a senior living community for your retirement years is knowing you only have to make a move once. Find out what happens if your needs should change in the future. Do they offer person-centered care? Is assisted living available? Memory care support? Resident assessments?
- Is transportation available? Whether to a doctor’s appointment or to the movie theater, make sure transportation is available if you need it. Are planned outings available? What is the defined radius? Can additional transportation be requested?
- Can you provide references? While every senior living community will always put their best foot forward, it’s best to talk to individuals who reside there. Speaking with residents will give you an indication of what life will be like and the types of people you will have to socialize with as a resident. What is day-to-day life like? How many friends have you made? How does your family feel?
Don’t be afraid to ask challenging questions when you visit senior living communities. This is a big decision and a hugely personal one. Make the right choice by asking the most important things to you now and well into the future.
Care for Every Stage of Retirement at Heritage Senior Living
We want Heritage Senior Living to feel like home for every one of our residents. We go out of our way to provide social opportunities, on-site amenities, a continuum of care, and everything residents need to find fulfillment. We would love to take you on a personalized tour of one of our independent living communities. Contact a senior advisor today to schedule a tour.