We are taking proactive measures to help protect our residents from COVID-19 by partnering with a pharmacy provider to administer the vaccine when it becomes available to long term care facilities in Wisconsin. We are participating in calls with the Department of Health to ensure we have the most reliable and up to date information regarding the vaccine. The below are a few highlights of what we know so far.
- Two vaccines have been approved for emergency use through the FDA.
- There will be a phased allocation of COVID-19 vaccine supplies. Phase 1a includes health care personnel and long-term care facility residents.
- The federal Health & Human Services department will allocate vaccines to state departments of health for local allocation and distribution.
- The Wisconsin Department of Health will be responsible for allocating and distributing the vaccine throughout the state. The first vaccines have been provided to hospitals and skilled nursing facilities.
- The timeline for when the vaccination will be available to assisted living providers is unknown.
- Heritage Senior Living is partnered with a pharmacy to administer the vaccine on-site to residents and employees once it becomes available.
- The vaccine will require two doses to be administered before its effective. Length of time between doses will depend on the brand of COVID-19 vaccine provided.
- It will be important that resident and employees attend clinics as scheduled since vaccine supplies will not be kept at our facility and can only be administered by a registered vaccinator (in this case, the pharmacy we are partnered with).
- We have been informed that we may only receive a 10-day notice prior to scheduled vaccination clinics. As soon as we have confirmed dates, we will provide this information to residents and families.
Thank you to many of the family members, friends, and residents who attended the presentation on “Vaccines: Our Best Defense.” The presentation provided information on how vaccines work, vaccine expectations, and what we know so far about the COVID-19 vaccine. If you were unable to attend, but would still like to view the presentation you can find it online at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZeRWRwD5j8
The Wisconsin Department of Health services has announced activating part 2 of phase 1a. This allows pharmacy partners to start administering the COVID-19 vaccine to assisted living residents and employees. Heritage Senior Living has partnered with Walgreens to provide COVID-19 vaccinations. We are excited to support the health and well-being of residents and employees. Heritage Senior Living currently has 6 of our 14 campuses scheduled for Covid 19 vaccination clinics in the next week. We anticipate scheduling the rest of our communities over the next two weeks.
The Moderna vaccine has been allocated to assisted living providers. All persons indicated for vaccination should receive 2 doses at least 1 month part. COVID-19 vaccines are not interchangeable with each other or with other COVID-19 vaccine products. Both doses are necessary for protection from the COVID-19 virus. Residents and staff will need to be in the facility on the date of the clinics to receive vaccination. Each scheduled community will hold three Covid 19 vaccination Clinics, each scheduled 4 weeks apart.
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.