When your immune system is working properly, it protects you against illnesses and infections. You feel good, productive, and can go about your day doing what you love. But when your immune system isn’t strong enough to protect you, you find yourself fighting fevers, dehydration and lack of energy. Aging tends to weaken immune health, but there are ways you can combat that. Healthy eating with the right foods that boost immune system health can help you stay healthy.
Foods that Boost Your Immune System Health
Check out this list of immune system boosters for seniors looking for some ideas on healthy eating:
- Citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, lemons and limes are great immune system boosters for seniors. These fruits are high in Vitamin C and help your body create more white blood cells, which help fight infections.
- Broccoli is a cornerstone of healthy eating. It contains antioxidants and vitamins A, C and E. This is one of the best vegetable options to have with dinner if you’re looking for foods that boost your immune system.
- Ginger works to decrease inflammation in the body and can help reduce any nausea you may be feeling when sick.
- Yogurt is a great source of vitamin D. It’s one of those foods that boosts immune system health and bolsters your body’s natural defense against illnesses.
- Spinach contains vitamin C and antioxidants, and may help you increase your immune system’s infection-fighting abilities.
- Almonds are rich in vitamin E, which is imperative to maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Chicken noodle soup is high in vitamin B-6, which helps your body form new and healthy red blood cells.
- Garlic can help fight skin infections, bacteria and viruses.
- Red bell pepper contains high levels of vitamin C and is a rich source of beta carotene, which helps keep your skin and eyes healthy.
- Pomegranate juice can help your body fight bacteria and several kinds of viruses.
How to Boost Your Immune System Naturally
Looking for some natural immune system boosters for seniors? Here are three simple ways you can improve your immune system every day, beyond healthy eating:
- Stay Hydrated – Drink plenty of fluids to prevent yourself from becoming dehydrated. You should aim to drink 6-8 glasses of water per day. This alone is one of the most important immune system boosters for seniors. Very few of us drink enough water.
- Get Enough Sleep – Aside from foods that boost immune system health, getting an adequate amount of sleep every night can help strengthen your natural immunity and decrease your chance of becoming ill.
- Manage Your Stress – Relieving anxiety and stress through healthy activities is key to having a healthy immune system.
Stay Healthy at Heritage Senior Living Communities
At Heritage Senior Living, your health and well-being are our top priorities. We’re proud of our healthy eating options and opportunities to be physically and mentally active. Find a community near you, learn more about our vibrant lifestyle options, or schedule a tour today!